Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Success = Mistakes


 You aren’t successful unless you are making mistakes.

I believe mistakes are a good thing.  Let’s face it:  if someone isn’t making any mistakes, they are being overly cautious. 
 
As a business owner, I have told my staff if they feel more than 75% confident in their decision….go for it!  Checking and confirming and verifying takes up a lot of time, and time equals money.  If their decision turns out to be wrong, it can become a learning experience.  We’ll have a valuable interaction and determine what we learned from the mistake, what we could have done differently, and at the end of the day – we learn more!  As a business owner, I can understand my employees line of thinking.  The employee learns my viewpoint.  Both viewpoints are valuable from a coaching standpoint.

You can learn a lot about someone when they make a mistake.  How do they react to that mistake?  Do they try to cover it up?  Do they ignore it and hope it goes away?  Dealing with a mistake in a forthright manner shows integrity. 

Mistakes are a good thing.  Repeated mistakes are the problem. 

Ryan Poterack is an entrepreneur living in North Carolina.